Job Opportunities for LIS Grads

Job Opportunities for Library and Information Science Grads

Here I am! After years of considering a Master’s in Library and Information Science (MLIS), I’m finally starting my first semester at the iSchool. In the last month I’ve quit my job, moved to Syracuse, registered for classes, bought books, started classes, met lots of new colleagues, started tweeting, and dipped a toe into the information science waters. Scratch that, I’ve dived in. In less than two years, I’ll graduate Syracuse University as an information professional… but what am I going to do after that?

My Future in Library Science

When I started looking into the MLIS degree, I had the idea it could lead me down a couple different career paths: I could become a librarian at a community or university library, or maybe work with children in a school. What I soon realized is that’s just the tip of the iceberg. The more I learn about the career possibilities for a librarian, the more inspired I get, and the more I see that this field is the perfect fit for a curious person like me. It seems like every class I’ve had in the last two weeks has revealed a fascinating type of library-related job I’d never considered.

How do I decide what kind of librarian I want to be? While sitting in classes, surfing the internet, and talking to the people I’m meeting in the iSchool community, I’ve been taking notes. I’m making a list of possible career choices, and I’m getting pretty excited. I’m opening myself to the possibilities and I really can envision how each one could be an amazing experience.

Surprising Ways To Use An MLIS

• Be my own boss as an independent research consultant (like our own Professor of Practice Jill Hurst-Wahl)
  • Support patients in a medical library (like recent iSchool grad Melissa McElroy-Elve, the Director of the Family Resource Center at Upstate Medical in Syracuse)
  • Work with a historic collection at a unique place like The Rosenbach Museum & Library in Philadelphia, PA
  • Manage an unusual collection of objects, like SU’s Plastics Collection
  • Track industry or market trends as a research analyst
  • Do research for a business or non-profit organization (Check out this interview with the research librarian for the Food Network)
  • Help scholars in a special library like the Hirshhorn Museum Library in Washington, DC

This is just the beginnings of what I’m sure will be a long list; I know there are many more atypical librarian positions out there for me to discover.

Take the next step.

Harness the power of information and further your career with a Master's Degree in Library Science.

Get Started

Do you know about other surprising jobs held by iSchool Library and Information Science grads? What do you plan to do with your MLIS? Inspire me! Contact Mia at mebreitk@syr.edu or on Twitter @MiaBreitkopf.

Mia Breitkopf

Mia Breitkopf is a graduate student pursuing her Master of Science degree in Library and Information Science at Syracuse University. In 2011, she moved to Syracuse to study after seven years in Philadelphia, PA, where she taught public school and worked at The Pew Center for Arts & Heritage. Mia holds a bachelor's degree in music education from the Crane School of Music at SUNY Potsdam and will graduate with her MLIS in May 2013.

More Posts - Website - Twitter

• So, which offer did you accept?

• Pingback: Job opportunities for LIS grads « Librarian Chat()

• Pingback: Digital Curation: Why You Should Consider a Career in eScience()

• Pingback: I’ll Never Touch Books! & 3 More Crazy Librarian Ideas « Mia B. Blogs()

• Pingback: 61 Non-Librarian Jobs for LIS Grads « Mia B. Blogs()

• Pingback: 61 Non-Librarian Jobs for LIS Grads()

• Tamale Samuel

what are the potential business opportunities from studying masters in Library and information science

• Alexb975

I believe this amazing profession gives you an incentive to go for every career opportunity out there, and if you feel that chosen path is not right for you, then you can change roles that really suit your interests. What makes this profession absolutely profound is, you can re-direct onto another career path with your transferable skills gained from previous role into a new one. So every encounter has created new opportunities for you, and therefore nothing is wasted. Now doesn’t this profession sound like a fabulous to belong to, I think so!

• Alexb975

I have just completed my first year of MSc in Inforrmation Science degree at City University London. At moment, there is a temporary summer job opportunity that I’m interested, is there any advice or tips how I can prepare my CV for that role?

• chisom king

hallo am chisom, a citizen of nigeria i applied for public adm. as course in an institution but they gave me library and information sci.but i don’t know anything about the course so i want know if the course is a good one or should i go and change the course…pls i need your urgent advice….this is my E.MAILL ADDRESS CHISOMJOEL5@GMAIL.COM