The iSchool is providing this specially-designed preparation session to guide students through the study of PMI sample exam questions so that they can become prepared to take the CAPM certification exam.
The course is open to those who are taking, or have already completed, a qualifying formal project management course, such as Syracuse University Course IST345; IST645; SCM456; SCM656 (or similar Project Management Course).
It is assumed that all participants will have completed a prerequisite formal course in Project Management either prior to workshop enrollment or during the current semester.
Robert Campagna, PMP
Bob has over 20 years of Project and Program Management experience from simple product improvement efforts to complex, multi-year, multi-million-dollar capital projects. In addition to his full time role at National Grid, Bob is a former President of the Syracuse Chapter of The Project Management Institute, and teaches Project Management courses as Adjunct Professor at Syracuse University's iSchool, where he co-led the development of this CAPM Exam Prep course. Bob has a Bachelor of Science in Electrical and Computer Engineering from the State University of New York at Buffalo and an MBA from LeMoyne College. He earned his Project Management Professional (PMP) certification in 2007.
How to Enroll
This workshop is two days only: Saturday, February 16 and Sunday, February 17, 2019.
Location: Syracuse University, Hinds Hall, Room 120
Time: 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Workshop fee (required)
$150.00 Workshop Fee: Payment, including credit cards, can be accepted online at registration or at the start of class. The workshop fee includes a free study guide.
PMI Membership fee (required for non-members)
All workshop participants must be current members of PMI. Active students may join as student members for $32.00; non-students may join as regular members for $139.00. Membership is processed online at: http://www.pmi.org/membership/become-a-member.aspx
Additional CAPM Exam Fee
A separate fee for the CAPM examination is not included in the workshop fee, but will be collected by PMI online when the student schedules their exam. Instructions for exam scheduling will be provided at the workshop.
Book included with the CAPM workshop fee: Mulcahy, Rita. CAPM Exam Prep - Fourth Edition. RMC Publications, Inc., 2018.
This book is included in your workshop fee and will be provided to you at the first workshop session at no extra charge.
Book included with the PMI membership fee: Project Management Institute, Inc.: A guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide) 6th Edition. (2017) ISBN 13: 978-1628253825
This book is provided electronically through the PMI Online Marketplace free of charge with required PMI national membership (see above). Please get this 6th edition only. Previous editions are not useable for the workshops.
Students who complete this course successfully will be able to:
- Explain the rationale behind the correct answers to sample exam questions found in commercially-available exam prep
- Describe the nature of the questions that are likely to be on the CAPM exam, the exam organization and the priority of knowledge areas expected of those who pass the
- Use a structured approach to prepare themselves thoroughly to take the CAPM
- Describe other available resources that may assist in their preparation for the
- Describe the CAPM exam registration process and how the exam is administered
The School of Information Studies of Syracuse University (the iSchool) offers several course sections each semester that qualify for the formal instruction requirement for project management certification exams.
Students who exit these courses are often motivated to achieve PMI certification as CAPM, but need to have guidance in the study for the exam. Typical exam preparation courses offered externally actually duplicate the semester-long iSchool courses in project management and can cost 10 times as much as this workshop.
Therefore, the iSchool jointly developed this workshop with the Instructor, Robert Campagna, to help students who have taken formal project management semester courses to prepare themselves for taking the CAPM exam.
Approaches to Achieve Learning Outcomes
- The session will help students to focus on the “PMI way” of understanding the content of PMBOK – the review of concepts, discussion of sample CAPM exam questions regarding the content and answering of student
- Rita Mulcahy’s CAPM Exam Prep - Fourth Edition study guide will be used as the primary guide for sequence of the study sessions. This book will be provided free to workshop
- Students will, after the session on their own, continue to review the study guide, previous textbooks, and appropriate chapters of PMBOK to study for the CAPM
- There is no guarantee that participants who attend this workshop will pass the exam.
- No academic credit will be granted by Syracuse University for this workshop. This is a special learning event hosted by the University, but which is offered outside of any academic program.
- Attendance of participants will be recorded during the day.
- Membership in PMI is required for attendance in this workshop. Fees for membership are not included in the workshop fee. See previous page for information on becoming a member of PMI.
- Campus class capacity is limited – participants are encouraged to enroll early.