- The program prepares you for interdisciplinary work focused on managing big data using information technologies as tools.
- Core courses focus on handle data through its full lifecycle: architecting, acquiring, analyzing, and archiving
- Elective credits can be selected from such areas as communication and collaboration, digital curation, digital libraries, information assurance, project management, mashups, research, scripting, statistics, technologies, and visualization
- Get a preview into the CAS in Data Science by downloading the Data Science eBook, written by Professor Jeffrey Stanton
The Certificate of Advanced Study (CAS) in Data Science at the Syracuse University School of Information Studies (iSchool) is a 15-credit graduate-level certificate that can be taken as a stand-alone certificate or as part of a graduate degree program.
The CAS in Data Science at the iSchool was the first New York State-approved certificate of its kind, and gives a competitive edge to students and professionals alike by equipping you with a mixture of technical and theoretical skills. The curriculum can be tailored to fit your education or career goals. Specializations include:
- data analytics
- data storage and management
- data visualization
- general systems management
Data scientists are crucial to solving big data problems in areas as diverse as clinical research, defense intelligence, customer behavior, medical diagnosis, and risk management. As the field grows, Data Science graduates are shaping the first wave of data science practices and standards.
Available On-campus | Online | Full-time | Part-time
Courses & Curriculum
Overview (15 total credits)
- 6 credits core courses
- 9 credits elective courses
Online or On Campus
The CAS in Data Science is offered online, on campus, full-time, and part-time, or any mixture thereof.
Application requirements can be found on our application checklist.
The major components of the CAS application are: the online application, academic transcripts, personal statement, resume or CV, and the $75 non-refundable application fee.
We offer admissions for fall, spring, and summer semesters.
Visit the Admissions page for information on application deadlines, tuition, and more.