Health and Tech Road Trip: Boston
Healthcare has received a dose of disruption, and Boston is no stranger to administering the medicine. Between the City’s world-renown hospitals, emerging start-ups, and top tier tech and medical colleges, Boston has long been known as a hotbed for healthcare. The city has time and again proven that it’s set to hack healthcare and on this iSchool Road Trip we’re going to make some visits to connect us to the cutting edge healthcare innovation and advancement changing our world.
This Road Trip will provide our students the perfect opportunity to not only see but experience the intersection of the healthcare industry and your future tech-based careers … all in 48 hours!
Pack your bag. Update your resume. Explore with us. Envision the possibilities. It’s an iSchool Road Trip!
Apply to the Boston Road Trip
This is an example schedule only. The exact schedule will be provided with confirmation of trip attendance and will be updated here as visits are confirmed.
Thursday, April 6
|3:45 am||Students/Bus departure from Goldstein Student Center, South Campus|
|4:00 am||Student/Bus departure from College Place Bus Stop, North Campus|
|9:30 am||Wake-Up Call and coffee break|
|10:00 am||Visit 1: Hallmark Health System at Melrose-Wakefield Hospital|
|12:00 pm||Visit 2: Barton Associates, with lunch|
|2:00 pm||Visit 3: TBD|
|4:00 pm||Visit 4: Langer Labs at MIT|
|6:00 - 8:30 pm||Alumni Event, Harvard Club, Boston Downtown|
|9:30 pm||Check-in to Hotel (rooms in groups of 3-4)|
|10:00-10:45 pm||Debrief & Snacks at the Hotel|
Friday, April 7
Considering joining us? You should know:
- Who: The Healthcare Road Trip is open to all undergraduate iSchool majors. Road Trip participants are chosen through an application process and applications are due by March 22nd at Midnight. We will select approximately 50 students for the trip.
- When: April 6 & 7. Roundtrip transportation, overnight accommodations, an alumni event with the iSchool Board of Advisors and local Boston alums, 7-8 site visits, and all meals are included in the cost of the trip.
- Why YOU should definitely apply: The iSchool Healthcare Road Trip will provide an opportunity for students to witness and interact with the intersection of Information Technology and the healthcare world. We’ll visit researchers, entrepreneurs, practitioners and strategists. It’s a trip like no other! You’ll have the chance to glimpse future careers, practice networking with fun alumni and tour the Boston area.
- Cost to you: This trip has been underwritten by the Ivor Foundation and therefore accepted students will pay a heavily discounted amount of $75 to cover the entire cost of the trip. There is further funding available on an as-needed basis. Please see Julie after being accepted to further chat about this need-based fund.
Important Dates and Details
- Students must apply between Monday, February 27 and Wednesday, March 22 at midnight. Admitted applicants will be notified by Friday, March 24 to provide enough time to rearrange work and class schedules. There is room for approximately 50 students on this trip.
- We will keep a waitlist of students and offer seats off the waitlist on a space available basis as accepted students deny their offer to attend.
- Official trip explanation letters can be provided for students to give to professors, these letters do not guarantee an excused absence. We encourage all students to discuss their absence with professors in advance.
- Road Trip site visits are not finalized. Sites that may be visited include, but are not limited to hospitals, research labs, pharmaceutical companies, rescue companies and insurance agencies. Just know – we’re working really hard to ensure that each visit will be awesome, as interesting to as many students as possible, and to overall provide an exciting and enriching experience for everyone.
- As part of the trip and as per road trip tradition, we’ll host an alumni networking event for our student group on Thursday night. This event will coincide with the iSchool board meeting in Boston and iSchool Board of Advisors Members will also be in attendance.
- This trip has been underwritten by the Ivor Foundation and therefore accepted students will pay a heavily discounted amount of $75 to cover the entire cost of the trip. Full payment is due by March 31st to guarantee your spot. Payment can be made online and a link to payment options will be sent to students upon acceptance. The trip cost covers all meals, round trip charter bus transportation, overnight accommodations, and the alumni reception. Some additional spending money may be needed to cover snacks and other purchases throughout.
- All students, regardless of financial need are invited to attend the Road Trip. Upon acceptance, if the price of the trip proves to provide financial hardship, please contact Julie Walas Huynh at firstname.lastname@example.org for financial consulting and assistance.
- The bus will depart from both South Campus (Goldstein Student Center) and North Campus (College Place Bus Stop) at approximately 4:00 am on Thursday, April 6 and return to College Place late Friday night, April 7.