What is Innovate Ireland?
Innovate Ireland (formerly Startup Dublin) is a brand new week-long travel program in Dublin, Ireland. It is the newest trip in the iSchool’s portfolio of immersion experiences which includes Spring Break in Silicon Valley, Peak2Peak, TechTrek Chicago, and EntreTech NYC.
Innovate Ireland will give you access to connect with technology companies, entrepreneurs, and venture capitalists in Ireland. You’ll get to meet a unique network of and hear about their way of life (both personal and professional). Participating students will connect with Syracuse University alumni living and working in Dublin.
According to Tech Life Ireland , there are currently 80,000 people working in tech nationwide and a further 8,000 IT jobs in Ireland are forecast to open each year.
Potential visits include: Google, Amazon, Paypal, EA, Dropbox, and more!
What Does A Typical Day on Innovate Ireland Look Like?
- 7:00 - 9:00 a.m. - Wake up and eat breakfast at hotel with Syracuse University alumni
- 9:30 - 12:00 p.m. - Visit Company 1
- 11:30 p.m. - 2:30 p.m. - Lunch and visit Company 2
- 3:00 - 3:30 p.m. - Coffee break
- 3:45 - 5:00 p.m. - Visit Company 3
- 5:30 - 7:00 p.m. - Interactive group activity
- 7:30 - 9:00 p.m. - Dinner and nighttime cultural element
- 9:30 - 10:30 p.m. - Debrief at the hotel
Why is Innovate Ireland Important?
For students to:
- Learn what you want in your future career
- Distinguish what you like in a city
- Learn what recruiters are looking for
- Connect within a company
- Deepen connection to Syracuse University through alumni networking
For alumni to:
- Show off where you work
- Pay it forward to students who were once in your shoes
- Meet potential interns and hires
- Establish relationships within the University after graduating
- Have a source for focus group studies within your company
For sponsors to:
- Create a groundbreaking learning style for Syracuse University
- Foster the connections between alumni and students
- Pique the interest of alumni in other cities to participate in an immersion program
- Spread the Orange influence everywhere
- Influence a current student’s trajectory toward their future careers
Innovate Ireland Course Description
Innovate Ireland is a 3-credit experience ( IDS 460: Immersion Experience ) that includes a week-long travel program where students study technology and interact with innovative firms and alumni to understand how their best practices may be applied elsewhere.
The Innovate Ireland cohort will travel to an innovative ecosystem and spend 7 days meeting with information-based organizations. Daily visits will provide the cohort with a well-rounded vision of the innovative ecosystem and its cultural context.
Accordingly, students will be required to study the subject ecosystem and its companies prior to the trip, will need to record their observations during the trip, and provide a reflection piece upon their return.
This course involves travel and significant dedication. Students will be required to travel to the subject ecosystem and will be actively participating in activities from 7:00 a.m. until 10:00 p.m. for the entirety of the trip. In addition to the approximate 100 contact hours during the trip itself, there are three required pre-meetings several writing assignments, and a final presentation required.
This trip must be taken as a credit-bearing course (3 credits).
Undergraduate students must register for the 3-credit IDS 460 - Immersion Experience course to participate. Standard tuition fees, per credit, will apply.
It is strongly recommended that you consult your academic program handbook and meet with your home school academic advisor to understand how Peak2Peak credits will apply toward your degree program.
Graduate students must register for the 3-credit IDS 660 - Immersion Experience course to participate. Standard tuition fees, per credit, will apply.
$1000 per student. All interested students should apply, regardless of their ability to pay. The iSchool will work to make this program accessible to all who want to attend.
Passports are required for this trip.
Applications for Innovate Ireland open in the Spring semester. This week-long immersion program takes place in Dublin, Ireland during in November during Thanksgiving Break.
Innovate Ireland is a competitive program with limited space.
To be considered for admission, you should have, at the time of application, a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.00 on a 4.00 scale. In addition to GPA, we place a strong emphasis on your Experiential Learning statement, to be submitted as part of this application. We are also asking for applicants to submit a short video describing what they envision as the ideal company or organization to visit on this trip. These details are all contained in the application.
Students who participate in this program are expected to not only represent themselves well, but also act as strong ambassadors for Syracuse University. In order for this opportunity to be made available to future students, current students must work to ensure that we are invited back to the companies who host us during this event.
Admissions decisions are based on a full review of the application file, including the transcript, resume, the Experiential Learning statement, short video, and any disciplinary records. Once admitted to the program, you must remain a student in good standing (academic and judicial) to stay eligible to participate in this program.