What is EntreTech NYC?
Entretech NYC is the exclusive week-long intensive opportunity for students to get their feet inside the top startups and technology companies in New York City, and to dive deep into culture of the city. It is also a full-circle opportunity for current students to meet distinguished alumni who live and work in the city.
Potential visits include: Google NYC, FourSquare, Gilt Groupe, Kickstarter, CrowdTwist, Night Agency, Brand Yourself, HuffPost Live, Arkadium, and more!
Applications for EntreTech NYC 2019 will open Fall 2018. See more information in the Admissions Information section.
What Does A Typical Day on EntreTech NYC Look Like?
- 7:00 - 9:00 a.m. - Wake up and eat breakfast at hotel with Syracuse University alumni
- 9:30 - 11:00 a.m. - Visit Company 1
- 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. - Visit Company 2
- 1:00 - 2:30 p.m. - Lunch and visit Company 3
- 3:00 - 3:30 p.m. - Coffee break
- 3:45 - 5:00 p.m. - Visit Company 4
- 5:30 - 7:00 p.m. - Interactive activity that may include snacks with Company 5
- 7:30 - 9:00 p.m. - Dinner and nighttime cultural element
- 9:30 - 10:30 p.m. - Debrief at the hotel
Why is EntreTech NYC Important?
For students to:
- Learn what you want in employment
- Distinguish what you like in a city
- Learn what recruiters are looking for
- Connect within a company
- Deepen connection to Syracuse University through alumni networking
For alumni to:
- Show off where you work
- Pay it forward to students who were once in your shoes
- Meet potential interns and hires
- Establish relationships within the University after graduating
- Have a source for focus group studies within your company
For sponsors to:
- Create a groundbreaking learning style for Syracuse University
- Foster the connections between alumni and students
- Pique the interest of alumni in other cities to participate in an immersion program
- Spread the Orange influence everywhere
- Influence a current student’s trajectory toward their future careers
What Students Say About EntreTech NYC
"EntreTech has been insane, and I would recommend it to anyone and everyone. Here are a few things to know going in: Keep an open mind. Regardless of the company's focus, go in ready to listen. Lessons are everywhere. People want to talk to you." - Bobbi Whitney, Information Management and Technology '21
"Throughout our Entretech visits, I was surprised to see just how many of these industries connect in almost every department of a company. I was happy to hear that my communications degree will be beneficial no matter what industry I go into, because successfully and efficiently communicating with employees and clients is an incredibly important part of any job." -Melissa Cubit, Public Relations '18
"We're all here for very similar purposes and empower one another. So don’t limit yourself! Use these people to help guide you in the entrepreneurial New York City ecosystem." - Jojo Herrera, Illustration '19
"Throughout the trip I’ve taken notes about the different strategies and actions these entrepreneurs have used, and plan to do in-depth research into areas I am interested in. With my new perspective, I will also look to get involved in the campus startup community." - Matt Deeb, Information Management and Technology & Entrepreneurship and Emerging Enterprises '18
EntreTech NYC Course Description
The Entretech NYC cohort travels to New York City and spends 5 days meeting with information-based organizations. Daily visits provide the cohort with a well-rounded vision of the innovative ecosystem and its cultural context.
Accordingly, students are required to study the subject ecosystem and its companies prior to the trip, need to record their observations during the trip, and provide a reflection piece upon their return. Students are required to synthesize their observations by reporting back best practices to a local Syracuse firm.
This course involves travel and significant dedication. In addition to the approximate 100 contact hours during the trip itself, there are several mandatory pre-meetings, one required local company contact session, several writing assignments and a final presentation required.
Applications for Entretech NYC open in the fall semester and the week-long immersion program takes place in early January each year.
Entretech NYC is a competitive program with limited space.
To be considered for admission, you should have, at the time of application, a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.00 on a 4.00 scale. In addition to GPA, we place a strong emphasis on your Experiential Learning statement, to be submitted as part of this application. We are also asking for applicants to submit a short video describing what they envision as the ideal company or organization to visit on this trip. These details are all contained in the application.
Students who participate in this program are expected to not only represent themselves well, but also act as strong ambassadors for Syracuse University. In order for this opportunity to be made available to future students, current students must work to ensure that we are invited back to the companies who host us during this event.
Admissions decisions are based on a full review of the application file, including the transcript, resume, the Experiential Learning statement, short video, and any disciplinary records. Once admitted to the program, you must remain a student in good standing (academic and judicial) to stay eligible to participate in this program.