Welcome to Hinds Hall
The remodeling of Hinds Hall, from 2003 to 2008, marked the first time that one building had been used solely to house the School of Information Studies on the Syracuse University Campus.
The building, erected in 1955, was originally home to engineering departments before being gutted and redesigned. Working closely with iSchool leadership and J.D. Taylor Construction of Syracuse, Ashley McGraw Architects transformed the building into a sleek, modern space that supports an open exchange of ideas and information.
Natural wood and earthy red accents balance the exposed infrastructure, brushed aluminum window frames, and steel accessories, much like the iSchool’s curriculum blends technological training with an understanding of human needs and behaviors.
The building redesign received an American Institute of Architects Central New York Chapter Citation Award for the redesign and renovations.