The School of Information Studies (iSchool), established in 1896 and renamed as the Original Information School in 1974, has a long tradition of leading innovation and change. Our ideals and values are the foundation for our success.
The iSchool is a globally recognized leader in advancing knowledge and developing creative, thoughtful, and technically capable leaders in the information field.
The mission of the iSchool is to expand human capabilities by connecting people, information, and technology. The faculty and staff of the iSchool are committed to preparing students to be leaders in the information field, advancing knowledge and using information to solve problems faced by individuals and organizations. Together, the faculty, staff and students of the iSchool impact research and the information profession through our scholarship, rigorous education opportunities, and commitment to service that advances science, improves professional practice, and contributes both to communities in which we live and more broadly to society.
The culture, curriculum, and decision making at the iSchool are guided by our shared values.
- Scholarship. We are dedicated to scholarship in all its forms. We draw from the university's vision and dedicate ourselves to being a world-class, student-centered research institution. We promote this aim through discovery, development, application, integration, and active learning.
- Global Diversity and Inclusion. We are diverse on many dimensions and we embrace our differences. Complex problems require multidimensional analysis and solutions. The school encourages a multiplicity of voices to address important information problems. The school seeks people who respect a diversity of opinion and perspective, and who thrive on the tension of discussion and debate.
- iSchool of One. We are a unified school. The faculty, staff, and students work together, not as individuals or groups who represent a specific area in which they work or affiliate. We challenge ourselves to benefit from the paradox of a single information field that is manifested in many professional expressions.
- Quality. We push ourselves to produce curriculum, research, and learning outcomes at the highest possible level of excellence. We strive to enable our students and alumni to create superior solutions that expand human capabilities.
- Innovation. Information technology provides opportunities to advance the frontiers of what is possible across many areas of human endeavor. We seek to improve society by discovering synergies of information, technology, and people that enable these advances.
- Integrity. We uphold the highest standards for the ethical use of information and practice in the information professions.