The Bachelor of Science in Information Management & Technology (IM&T) at the School of Information Studies focuses on the human as well as the technological elements of information systems. Students learn to see the big picture through coursework that covers the information industry spectrum.
IM&T students focus on the needs of information users, learn the value of information as well as technology, and develop a flexible and highly portable set of skills for the modern workplace.
- Our flexible curriculum allows you to tailor your education to suit your interests and career ambitions.
- Our interdisciplinary faculty members provide the fundamental knowledge that increases your marketability to employers, no matter what the industry.
- As a member of the smallest undergraduate school on campus, you’ll develop personal relationships with faculty, staff, and peers, and have the opportunity to work on research projects with faculty and graduate-level students.
- There is a Global Experience requirement for all Information & Technology majors.
Through coursework in the liberal arts, students in the IM&T program gain an understanding of the historical and scientific contexts of contemporary life and explore a variety of disciplines.
Many students take minors or dual majors in other Syracuse University schools or colleges, including policy studies, economics, and management. The IM&T curriculum also enables students to participate in study abroad, honors, and cooperative education programs.
Students select at least one of six concentrations to develop expertise that will advance them in their careers:
- Information security management: Investigate such issues as the vulnerability of hardware and software to hackers or computer viruses, as well as the financial and managerial implications of protecting information.
- Project management: Develop the managerial and technical skills to oversee a variety of information systems and to create information policies for organizations.
- Network and systems management: Study the development of telecommunications, wireless, and other network technologies and their effect on users.
- Web design and management: Learn how to create and maintain web resources and sites, taking into consideration the users and organization's needs.
- Database management: Organize information in such a way that it can be accessible whenever and wherever it is needed.
- Digital retail strategies: Enhance your knowledge of electronic commerce and layout strategy for all sorts of retail corporations, and increase your knowledge of the technologies and processes involved in electronic commerce.
The most up-to-date curriculum information may be found in the Syracuse University Course Catalog.
IM&T + Fast Track Master's Program
All eligible Syracuse University students can apply to pursue a Fast Track master's degree at the iSchool - but undergradaute students who major in IM&T have the unique opportunity to complete a full master's program with fewer credits than a typical student.