Roger Merrill interns with the Community Library of Jamesville & Dewitt

Winding Down: Reflecting On My Library Internship

Looking Forward

This internship, like taking courses, is a method of collecting tools and resources to better equip oneself for meeting the projects and tasks we may anticipate in our future both short term and long term. While many people have opportunity to swing a hammer for one reason or another, not everyone has opportunity to practice with many of the specialized tools or experience processes specific to a profession.

What I Learned

I’m thankful for the opportunity I had to put into practice the knowledge previously acquired in the classroom. The internship also revealed real life situations that the classroom just doesn’t afford; furthering opportunities to additional skills and experience.

At this point in my career, having completed the internship as my last program requirement I’ve added those tools and techniques to my collection ready should I have need of them. I’m currently in a job I truly enjoy and while I keep my eyes open it might be a little while yet before I’ll be ready to actively pursue that next adventure. During that time I’ll need to keep current skills employed and continue to keep learning. To do that, I’ll always stay engaged with continuing education.

Advice for Future Interns

For all those with an internship in their future, it’s never too early to start planning. Don’t be turned off by what seems like a prescribed arrangement. Take the opportunity during the interview/contract stage to negotiate to include the experiences you are hoping to have. If you’re willing to put in the time and effort I believe you will be rewarded with numerous opportunities.

Read All of Roger’s Internship Posts

Want to learn more about the world of Library Science? Check out our librarianship posts!

Roger Merrill

Roger Merrill

Roger Merrill is a long term SU member, staff and student. He has been the IT Director and now Assistant Dean for Technology and Facilities here at the iSchool. If not at his desk in the office he is likely in the classroom. If not on campus he is home tending his sheep, making hay, building something or scouting the forest.

More Posts