My internship reinforced the values of the organization I want to work with. The Federal Reserve’s values are: public interest, integrity, excellence, efficiency and effectiveness, and independence of views.

Their mission is, “…to foster the stability, integrity, and efficiency of the nation’s monetary, financial, and payment systems so as to promote optimal macroeconomic performance” (source: federalreserve.gov).

Vision for my Future

It excites me that I contributed to the well-being of our economy, even if it was in a tiny way. In the future, wherever I work, I want to have a positive impact on the world.

My number one priority is staying true to my personal values, which are helping people and solving important problems.

“In the future, wherever I work, I want to have a positive impact on the world.” – Emily Simens

Nonstop Summer fun with the iSchool

After arriving home from D.C., I hopped on a flight to Seattle for the School of Information Studies Peak 2 Peak Immersion trip! So far I’ve visited Boeing, Microsoft, Amazon, PMI, and some incredible start-ups.

Tonight, we are headed to Portland to see Intel, PIE, Smarsh, and experience the city! This summer opened my eyes to opportunities around the country in D.C., the West Coast, and beyond.

My Top Three Tips for Internship Success

1. Introduce yourself to anyone and everyone! I made some amazing connections with fellow interns, analysts, people in senior level roles, and even one of the deputy directors of my department! It’s important to keep in mind how unique of an opportunity is presented. It’s invaluable to create friendships with coworkers that are working on amazing things. You’ll never know where you’ll run into someone in the future or how you could help each other.
  2. Keep a running list of everything you accomplish over the summer. This will help when your manager or supervisor is evaluating your work and time at their organization. It’s also a great tool because this list should be added to your LinkedIn and resume. Future employers absolutely love to see relevant experience and that you can get work done!
  3. Be accountable. This was something I learned personally throughout my time at the Board. It can be overwhelming to start at (possibly) your first corporate internship. In technology, it’s not uncommon to be working on a few different projects or tasks at the same time. The most valuable lesson I learned this summer was to keep everyone in the loop of how my work was going, even if I was struggling with a project.

Thank you so much for keeping up with my summer internship blog! Good luck to everyone out there on their internship grind this year.

Read all of Emily’s Summer Internship Posts