Syracuse University iSchool student Chris Chomicki at Snoqualmie Falls 

Bias for Action: More Projects, More Fun

Just passing the midpoint in my Amazon Software Development Engineering internship, I’ve continued to make leaps and bounds. My original project that I was assigned is now in the testing and deployment phase. It’s exciting to think about that within my first couple of weeks at Amazon, I’m already getting the chance for my work to be used in real world use cases!

The Challenge of Multi-Tasking

Since this project is now coming to close much earlier than expected, I’m beginning work on a second project that my team have come up with for me. It’s becoming quite a challenge to juggle two projects at the same time while I try to make the most of the 12 weeks I have here. This is shortly becoming a true test of my ability to multi-task.

I’ve learned that it’s important to not get stuck too much on a certain feature if I become blocked and it’s outside of my control. It’s not worth it to worry over, and time would be better spent on a task that I have more control over.

Switching between two projects concurrently has been a great experience that I know will benefit me throughout my future career. My course load at the School of Information Studies and School of Engineering and Computer Science has helped me with skills such as time management and not being afraid to ask questions.

“Learn and Be Curious”

The full-time members on my team have been especially helpful with helping to unblock me when it comes to my projects. They have been a great resource since they know the ins and outs of how quality software at Amazon is created.

I’ve quickly overcome the fear of asking these individuals who are 10, 20, or 30 years older than me. In the field of information technology, I believe the biggest skill is knowing what questions to ask and when. It’s imperative to showcase that you’ve done research yourself on the subject before going about and asking others. This shows initiative and that you aren’t completely clueless on the subject matter.

The need to “Learn and Be Curious” is strong here at Amazon and I’ve been able to relate to this idea everyday throughout my 7 weeks here. I keep finding the Amazon Leadership Principles being applied to decisions being made every single day.

Exploring the Great Outdoors

Outside of work, I’ve continued to explore everything that summer time in Seattle offers. I recently went out to a music festival at the Gorge Amphitheater. It was about 2 and a half hours out of Seattle and one of the most gorgeous venues I’ve been to.

Last weekend, I hiked up Rattlesnake Ledge and saw the Snoqualmie Falls (where the picture at the top was taken). I also moved into my new apartment right in Eastlake with a 5 minute commute to work. Next weekend I’ll be heading up to Vancouver for my first time ever in Canada!

Having a Bias for Action

My internship thus far has taught me to not be afraid to fail fast and hard. Through having a “Bias for Action”, it’s amazing to see how much work can get done when you’re prone to taking calculated risks. I know for sure that the rest of the summer will be filled with even more exciting challenges as I finish up at Amazon.

Bring it on.

Chris Chomicki

Chris Chomicki

Chris Chomicki here, a rising senior in the iSchool studying Information Management & Technology with minors in Global Enterprise Technologies and Computer Science. I’ve been on the Division 1 Cheerleading squad here at Syracuse University for 2 years now, so bleeding orange is more than just a passion of mine. Other than that, I’m big into nutrition/fitness and try to get to the beach as much as I can!

More Posts