The iSchool’s sense of community is powerful. Every year, our programs bring new students to Hinds Hall. Not unlike the Plymouth colonists who made landfall in what they called “the New World”, our students venture to Syracuse University to begin a new phase of life.

In 1621, colonists shared an autumn feast with Wampanoag tribes already living in the New World. Americans continued hosting days of thanksgiving and – in the midst of America’s Civil War – President Abraham Lincoln made it an official holiday.

Thanksgiving is about 3 things: history, food, and gratitude. We’ll point you to a few more resources to boost your holiday.

First, a little more history.

The Syracuse iSchool has a top-ranked program in Library and Information Science. Libraries are increasingly digitizing cultural heritage artifacts. For turkey day this year, we turn to the Digital Public Library of America (DPLA).

The Boston-based nonprofit is a progressively growing national digital library, whose collection draws from America’s libraries, museums, archives and cultural heritage sites. Try modifying your search to yield even more Thanksgiving-themed primary sources.

Next, some Orange-inspired recipes

Don’t tell Otto, but oranges make a nice touch to the Thanksgiving feast! Celebrate your school spirit and try one of these orange-themed dishes:

Rounding it out with a gratitude from the iSchool community!

In the midst of midterm crises and pre-break planning, InfoSpace rallied iSchool graduate students to reflect and share what they’re thankful for this year.

I am thankful for the alumni donors who help fund our road trips!

Faculty and staff who push me to be the best I can be.

How encouraging the professors are and how crazy smart my classmates are! So inspiring!

The friends I’ve gained over four years.

The people I’ve gotten to know (faculty, staff, peers), co-instructing It Girls workshop last month, and the iSchool’s support of LISSA

The support system that is provided from students and staff.

I’m thankful for the ability to learn from alumni and interact with professors and classmates

Want to read more about what the iSchool is thankful for? Here are more articles on what’s great about the iSchool from our LIS faculty and students. You can also comment to share what makes the iSchool great for you.