For sophomores, EY (Ernst & Young) offers the Women in Technology (WIT) Conference during the summer before their junior year of college. I found out about the EY WIT Conference from attending an information session and by talking to recruiters. I was nervous; on top of everything, I had just transferred into the Syracuse University iSchool and had no “real” technical skills.

The Application Process

Reluctantly, I submitted my application along with my resume. A week or two had passed until I moved on to the next round: phone interviews. Again, I was nervous. What were they going to ask me? But, the phone call wasn’t intimidating, it was a mere conversation for the EY professional to get to know me and a chance for me to get to know a little more about EY as a company.

I waited and waited until finally, I got an email inviting me to attend the conference in Chicago. It was my first real professional experience. But I was excited; excited to grow my network, to meet other women in technology across the nation, and to challenge myself.

Arriving in Chicago at the EY office, I did not know what to expect. I did not know anyone, or what we would be doing. However, the EY professionals warmly greeted me as I entered into their conference room, which exploded with vibrant colors on the wall and lots of snacks. Other female students from different schools began to fill the room.

ey

Conference Networking

Throughout the next two days, we had a chance to get to know each other and the EY professionals who were once in our shoes. We learned more about the internship opportunities offered, how to prepare for the interview and characteristics of someone who works for EY. We had a chance to listen to guest speakers and a panel of women about their experiences. Most importantly, we had real conversations about what it means to be a woman in the technological field.

Later, we went on a food tour in Chicago and got to eat real deep-dish pizza. I made friends that I would’ve never met before and I learned more about what I see myself doing in the future beyond graduation. After the conference ended, all the attendees added each other on LinkedIn and we waited for the next steps.

A week or two later, I received an email offering me a chance to interview for their Technology Advisor Program for the summer of 2018. Again, I flew out to Chicago for a day that consisted of three interviews back to back; two behavioral interviews and one case study. After the interview, I received a phone call offering an internship. It all started with a simple conversation.

ey2

It’s Never Too Early to Network!

Are you looking for ways to grow your network early? If you’re a sophomore Information Management & Technology major, it’s never too early to start thinking about internships and full-time jobs. Apply for the EY WIT Conference to get to know more about the company culture at EY and all of the opportunities available to students.

[cta_widget block=”cta-imt-a”]