I do my fair share of Snapchatting, and found that a recent update to the app introduced emojis into the Snapchat experience. Were you confused because I definitely was! That is, until I cracked the code of what those emojis adjacent to your friends’ names mean.

Those Snapchat Emojis - via emojipedia.org/snapchat

Those Snapchat Emojis – via emojipedia.org/snapchat

Breaking it down

Smiley face – this emoji next to a username means they’re one of your best friends on Snapchat. You guys snap a lot, but they’re not your #1 best friend.

Smirking face – this means that you are one of that person’s best friends, but they’re not one of yours (awkward). You may not send them many snaps, but they definitely send a lot your way!

Grimacing face – this means that your #1 best friend is their #1 best friend. That’s a lot of snaps sent to the same person!

Sunglasses smiley face – this means that one of your best friends is one of their best friends. You send a lot of snaps to someone they also send a lot of snaps to.

Yellow heart – this means that you are #1 best friends with each other. You two send the most snaps back and forth to each other.

️Red heart – this means that you have been #1 best friends with each other for two weeks straight. That’s quite the snapping streak.

Pink hearts – this means that you have been #1 best friends with each other for two months straight. If that’s not dedication, I don’t know what is.

[cta_widget block=”cta-imt-a”]

Fire symbol – this means that you’re on a snap streak with someone. A number will pop up before the fire symbol to indicate how many consecutive days you’ve been snapping with someone.

Hundred symbol – this means that you’re on a 100-day snap streak with someone. The 100 emoji will pop up next to the fire when you’ve reached this level of Snapchat dedication.

(Credit to Emojipedia, iDigitalTimes, and Beyoncé graphics for also helping me figure out exactly what all these emojis meant.)

Emoji confusion cleared?

Consider that emoiji confusion cleared up, now that you understand exactly what you’re looking at when you open Snapchat theses days.

If you have any questions for me, feel free to tweet at me @NatalieWiesnet! And if you’ve actually managed to be on a 100-day snap streak with someone, screenshot it and tweet it at me–because I honestly don’t think that’s a real thing.

by Natalie Wiesnet