How Buzzfeed Is Taking Over The Internet

Like many of you, I watched the Golden Globes last Sunday night. I caught all of the awkward hugs between celebrities, stammering from award winners, and unforgiving camera angles. During one uncomfortable part of an acceptance speech, my friend said ” well that’s going to be all over the Internet in the morning.”

And it was. Buzzfeed already got access to the clip and had it as one of the main articles on their home page the next day. Not only was that clip featured, but so were at least seven other articles about the Golden Globes. As I was scrolling through Buzzfeed that day (my ultimate procrastination tool), I sat there thinking “Is this really necessary?”

So I turned to Twitter to let out my frustration. 

I immediately got several snarky reactions (my favorite!) from my followers

It’s not only the Golden Globes coverage that Buzzfeed has gone overboard on. Titles such as “25 Foods You Probably Haven’t Eaten Since You Were A Kid”  and “8 Terrifying True Facts About Dentists”  aren’t all that interesting, but yet we are all inclined to find out what those things are. This clever psychological tactic works in Buzzfeed’s favor. However, Buzzfeed has begun to exhaust things like these. Because of the predictable format, it’s been easy to predict a future Buzzfeed article. For example, “10 Things You Already Miss About the ’00s” could easily be a future Buzzfeed post (if it hasn’t been written already). 

Buzzfeed has immediate links for users to click on upon entering their homepage.

But it’s not all about pop culture. Buzzfeed also has pages devoted to travel, LGBT issues, science, technology, and literature. Buzzfeed has everything covered, with new stories constantly being released throughout the day, and that’s how they’re taking over the Internet. Buzzfeed is a great way to catch up on the TV show you missed last night, the latest coverage on a political event, the newest trends in fashion, and the hilarious new Internet meme that’s taking over. As frustrating as it might be, Buzzfeed does have it all covered. Their categories and tags make it a one stop shop for a quick overview on what you may have missed. It isn’t the most intellectually stimulating, but readers don’t come to Buzzfeed to read analytical articles. They come to procrastinate, read fun articles, and get a watered down version of the latest breaking news. 

Titles and subtitles like these get readers to click, and watch, Buzzfeed content.

Despite how frustrating the obsessive coverage can be, I still do find value in some of their stories. Buzzfeed has great health stories, covers current events, and has great DIY tips for household crafts. Do I think they’re overdoing at times? Yes, but they’re still great at conveying information in a manner that is easily digestible to their readers. Catchy headlines with content that people actually want to read is a winning combination for Buzzfeed. 

What do you love or hate about Buzzfeed? Share in the comments!

Anne Marie Suchanek

Anne Marie Suchanek

Hi, I'm Anne Marie and I’m a two-time graduate of the iSchool. I received my B.S. in Information Management and Technology in 2013, and then stayed with the iSchool to earn my M.S. in Information Management in 2014 through the Fast Track program. I'm currently working as a Program Manager at Microsoft in Seattle, WA.

More Posts - LinkedIn