iphone_water_pool_468

How (Not) to Repair a Water-Damaged iPhone

For a clumsy person whose phone is in hand more frequently than in pocket, I’ve had my fair share of cellular device disasters. This is precisely why two weeks ago, when sink met iPhone and iPhone met death immediately thereafter, I took the news like a seasoned phone battle veteran. What made this event different than my many tales of broken phones past was that this time, I decided I was going to fix it myself.

SPOILER ALERT: I failed greatly in this endeavor. However, being on a college campus where interconnectivity and communication are so valued and accidents are so prevalent, I’m going to offer the tale of my failure both as a precautionary tale as well as a guide should any of you decide to tackle the innards of an iPhone yourselves.

Step 1: Assess Damage
As I yanked my helpless phone from the sink and saw the screen dim like a fleeting life right before my eyes, the flash lit up like a firework and kept on blazing for the next hour or so as the last reserves of the battery drained. I kept telling myself the water damage wasn’t that extensive, but then I saw the camera lens, filled with more water bubbles than an aquarium.

Step 2: Triage
At this point, I hurried back to my apartment as quickly as my choice of footwear would allow, filled a Tupperware container with dry, uncooked rice and buried my phone in it. I later learned from my research that proper protocol calls for using a blow drier on a low setting to disrupt larger pockets of water. I omitted this key step due to my own ignorance, but have made a mental note in case of future disaster. Perusing blog after forum after blog on proper iPhone treatment, I read claims of revival after leaving an iPhone in rice for anywhere from 24 hours to 6 days. I decided to liberate my phone from its rice-grave only after the bubbles visible in my camera lens had evaporated.

Step 3: Surgery
As I waited for the intrusive water to vacate its new home in the innards of my cellular device, I prepped for what bloggers across the web told me would be a necessary step: battery replacement. When water damage is to blame for an unresponsive iPhone, the problem is usually the battery, as water will fry that first. Thanks to videos, step-by-step guides and supplies from iFixIt (supplies that arrived at my apartment 4 days before scheduled.. .thank you very much you speedy shippers you) I believed myself perfectly capable of changing the battery. Armed with the following list of tools, I had full faith that this would be a piece of cake:

• Replacement Battery
  • iPhone 4 Liberation Kit (to deal with those pesty pentalobular screws)
  • Electronics cleaner (to fix any internal corrosion that may have occurred)
  • Electronics-cleaner towel (same purpose as above)
  • Tweezers (to manipulate small parts)
  • Paper Towels (to act as the surface for my operating table)

When, on day 4, I checked on the coma-status of my phone and saw that the camera-lense bubbles had evaporated, I knew it was time. Setting up a sterile and clean environment on the coffee table in my living room, I laid out my supplies, went over the iFixIt video and guide one last time, and dug in.

I was pleased with how easily the screws from the phone came out; I was also shocked by how, in the absence of those screws, the back panel slid off so cleanly and easily. The back panel was gone, and there lay the naked basics of my phone: warped battery, corroded connectors and all. Despite the fact that it looked like a lost cause, I changed the battery anyway, closed her up, and plugged her into my computer.

Step 4: Analyze Results
Shockingly, my computer recognized the phone. iTunes popped up promptly and I immediately hit the backup button in anticipation of failure. When my excitement subsided enough for me to actually look at my phone, my elation deflated like a popped balloon; the screen was black. I jiggled the silence button, was informed by my obnoxious ringer that I was getting a phone call, received an e-mail, and had a few new text deliveries. Advised by a commenter on one of iFixIt’s forums, I turned the phone off expecting that to solve the issue of my black screen. Sadly, it would never turn on again.

Step 5: Admit Defeat 
After the typical stage of denial, I accepted defeat and took the proper 15 minutes to mourn my phone. Then I got in the car and went to the Apple store at Carousel, told my sad tale of water damage and tampered innards, was informed that my foolish tactics rendered my warranty invalid. I accepted my well-deserved phone fate, took the necessary steps to replace my lost-cause, went home and restored my phone from its backup-from-deathbed, and haven’t looked back since.

In my failure, I hope there were some lessons learned. They go a little something like this:

• Invest in a heavy-duty case, i.e. the OtterBox case which guarantees to protect your phone from everything short of a volcano.
  • Don’t overestimate the prowess of your internal techie.
  • Let the pros handle it unless said internal techie is truly a guru. Remember that all tampering will void your warranty because Apple loves uniformity and hates all things home-made.
  • Do as I say not as I do.
To share your tales of water damage woe, leave a comment below, email Jessica at jlsmit22@syr.edu or find her on Twitter @j_lynn_smith.

Jessica Smith

Jessica received her masters degree in Information Management from Syracuse's School of Information Studies. She is an avid fan of robots and people with unique names. In her spare time she obsesses over Kurt Vonnegut, politics, and all things digital media/data journalism. If you find her mildly entertaining you can follow her on twitter @j_lynn_smith.

More Posts - Twitter - LinkedIn

• Jacquie

I really related to this. I am so clumsy that my kids usually step away from me when I have a knife in my hand. I haven’t destroyed my iPhone 3G (yet) but I did, once upon a time have a Planner. You know, one of those little devices that didn’t call or do anything but have a calendar. I had my whole life scheduled in it. Planners are about as hardy as an iPhone and didn’t have any crash cases (that’s what I call my hard case on my iPhone).  Well, Planners don’t take very well to being run over. I don’t know what their crush limit is but one big mini-van was definitely too heavy for it. 

My hubby, who is very much a great techie, attempted to save it or at least to get the info. from it so I wouldn’t miss all of my appointments. He managed to get the information and the thing still worked but the screen was toast. He had to compare his Planner with what he wanted to do on mine because he couldn’t see anything. Needless to say, I was back to paper and pen for awhile, printing out my Mac calendar almost everyday as things changed. 

Lessons to learn:
    Don’t drop your smartphone
    If you do drop it, don’t run over it
    Even if you have a geeky techie in house, you just can’t fix a crushed screen (duct tape doesn’t fix everything)

Accept that you are clumsy and make sure you get replacement or repair coverage on all your electronics.
    Have a great day!
    Jacquie

• waterdamagephoenix

http://waterdamage-phoenix.com/
    Iike your blog.

• I’m sorry to hear about your cellphone, Jessica. I also dropped mine in the toilet accidentally one time. I immediately opened it, removed the battery and put it in front of an electric fan. After it was dry enough, I let a professional check it. He just replaced some damaged parts and fortunately my cellphone was still functioning well afterward. =)

• Pingback: Repairing Your Water Damaged iPhone » Atlanta Water Damage Restoration Basics()

• Sherly
  • iPhone 4s Otterbox Case

Yes, I found in there website http://www.otterboxonline.com , videos for all the series commuter, defender, reflex and impact. Otterbox is a great product , protect your device 100% i just bought for my iPhone 4s and iPad a defender cases, the customer service was outstanding, Thank you for the great job folks

• Coelg

I would just like to say that Otterbox is in fact, NOT a great product. I had mine plus a ghost shield on it and it dropped and shattered my screen, not to mention that water had seeped in from the rain and caused it die… Get the one from Ballistic that is GUARANTEED waterproof, dust proof, and can fall out a 2 story building without so much as a ding. 

• As someone who has lost multiple phones to water damage, I sincerely empathize with your plight. In my experience, fixed by submerging the phone in rice (seriously!) for an extended period. The rice will actually absorb the water stuck in your phone! But this won’t work for serious damage, like if you’ve taken your phone for a swim in the ocean (like I once did). Thanks for your tips and insight, hopefully I won’t have to use them lol

• Johnfurner

I love you way of writing

• I don’t think its easy to repair water damaged iphone. You would have to contact their service center !

• The best

That’s a nice jailbroken phone you have there

• Awesome! Actually I have no idea how to save my iphone from water damages. Thanks God I found your blog. This can really help me a lot.

• Mr Richard Brown

I WILL ALWAYS TESTIFY OF THE GREAT AND MIRACLELUS WORK OF LORD GBUKA IN MY LIFE AND THAT OF MY FAMILY,IT WAS A MEMORABLE EVENT I WILL FORGET SO SOON…..IT ALL STARTED WHEN I SPOKE BADLY TO MY WIFE ABOUT HER MOTHER BECAUSE SHE DID NOT BUY A GIFT FOR MY DAUGHERTY ON CHRISTMAS DAY 2015.MY WIFE DOES NOT WANT TO FORGIVE ME AND MY DAUGHTER EVEN THOUGH WE HAVE APOLOGIZED TO HER AND HER MOTHER..HE WAS TREATING TO DIVORCE ME..AND SHE SAID SHE HAS DRIFTED AWAY FROM ME BECAUSE OF THE PROBLEM WE HAVE..SHE NOW SPENDS TIME WITH HER MOTHER….THEN I TURN TO LORD GBUKA OF lordgbukasherine34@gmail.com AND HE TOLD ME NOT TO WORRY THAT THEY WILL COME BACK TO ME AND APOLOGIZE TO ME AND MY DAUGHTER…IMMEDIATELY THE SPELL WAS CASTED MY WIFE CALLED ME TO APOLOGIZE TO ME ON THE PHONE AND BEGGING ME TO COME BACK INTO MY LIFE AGAIN…

CONTACT LORD GBUKA NOW On lordgbukasherine34@gmail.com or CALL HIM NOW +2347059814466..

• Star iPhone Repairs

Please do not use a hair dryer to dry the ports on your iPhone, this will force the water further into the device. Use a vacuum cleaner to suck the water out instead and then put in a bag or container of rice for at least 24-48hrs. Longer if you can.

• Great, i have no idea just how to repair my water damaged iPhone , thanks for sharing this nice post.

• assa

More then likely the digitizer and screen had fried so really you could of went the extra step as the logic board was working. But not knowing makes expensive mistakes, next time I suggest looking at what works and not then get all the parts as a new phone is at least 100 times more expensive then replacement parts.

• Mr Richard Brown

CONTACT LORD GBUKA NOW On lordgbukasherine34@gmail.com or CALL HIM NOW +2347059814466

,,,

• Atlanta Phone Guru

I would suggest not to repair it yourself, I have seen various people try to repair their phone, especially when they drop their devices in water. From what I noticed is that the initial instinct is to automatically dry it and turn it off and put it in sunlight but the thing is that it only takes a second for the water to reach the internal parts of the phone which would cause corrosion and leave you with an expensive paper weight. Bring it to us and we can repair any kind of water damage phone, from dropping it in the toilet to dropping it in a bowl of jell-o. Find out more or visit us at atlantaphoneguru.com

• Mr Richard Brown

I WILL NOT STOP TELLING THE WHOLE WORLD ALL ABOUT YOU LORD GBUKA

• mr xdream

what if i had water in the lcd. then its a dried out and some parts dont work what should i do?

• JoyandPain

Totally rocking article..I say, use a professional if possible too much can go wrong especially with the iPad and iPad Mini screen repair. I tried to fix my own iPad and failed miserably. I ended up replacing the entire unit at the Apple store. When I broke the screen on my iPad mini I used a online iPad screen repair service. After calling them they notified me that they are also a iPhone screen repair service in Dallas, TX, they offer nationwide mail-in repairs that takes 2-4 business days.

• Mr Richard Brown

THANKS LORD GBUKA

• martinamiller

I had the same problem. I first cleant it, replaced my battery and the phone started functioning for 2 days. After that it would only start when it is plugged for charging. I replaced the power management ic on the logic board and now everything is working fine. I also had problem with the dock as it used to sense docked and no voice on the speaker. that got fixed only by cleaning it. I still have a problem now. My phone heats up and the battery drains faster. I guess the battery is duplicate and thus will soon change it and see what happens. And if you lose your data you can use iPhone Data Recovery to get back. And here comes the tutorial.

• Mr Richard Brown

THANKS LORD GBUKA FOR MAKING ME WHO I AM TODAY

• MikeHenry12

Yes we can use vacuum cleaner to suck the water. Cell Phone Repair

• When an iPhone is broken or damaged it can be an extremely sad moment. It is likely the owner not only paid a

pretty penny for the phone, but keeps track of a great deal of his or her life within its little electronic

memory. Contact information for all of iPhone user’s friends, iPhone user’s schedule, her music, email, all

may be lost in the blink of an eye. What many iPhone owners don’t realize is how easy it can be to buy

individual iPhone parts wholesale. With a quick online tutorial and a new replacement or spare iPhone part, it

is easy to have that iPhone working as good as new in the blink of an eye. The first step is knowing where to

look.

• Although it may be possible to go back to the store, or to an elector4nics repair store, there is a lot of danger of being misquoted or misdiagnosed by the staff. When the repair is something you are pretty sure you can handle, it can be a big money saver to take on the project yourself.

• Johnny

Thanks alot for sharing this knowledge with us.. or should i say unknown people.. lol (including me).. this blog has been very useful for me.. thanks alot

Johnny

• Pingback: Cell Garage :: Genius()

• You probably believe you can watch a video on You Tube and you’ll be able to change the parts on your own. Don’t watch just one video. Find six and watch them all. Re-watch the best video over and over before you start on your phone. THEN, watch that video in segments as you actually spread your iPhone pieces all over the table.

• luisepid

Indeed, Apple does not cover water damaged devices. There’s an LCI (Liquid Contact Indicator) installed in the device and can be checked by a tech to determine whether the unit has been exposed to liquid. If so, the warranty is void. Here’s an article with more details:

How to Fix Water Damaged iPhone

As the user above mentioned, many Third-Party repair sites offer coverage of this sort of damage. Do thorough research and find the vendor most suited for your case.

Good luck!

• Pingback: Iphone Water Damage No Insurance | Mondays Great Deal()

• Pingback: Water Damage Iphone 5 BoxNews.US - Latest Breaking News | BoxNews.US - Latest Breaking News()

• Pingback: Fix How To Fix Blue Screen Of Death Windows 7 Home Premium Errors - Windows XP, Vista & Windows 7, 8()

• Pingback: Fix How To Fix Blue Screen Of Death Iphone 4s Errors - Windows XP, Vista & Windows 7, 8()

• Pingback: Fix How To Fix Blue Screen Error In Windows 7 Home Basic Errors - Windows XP, Vista & Windows 7, 8()

• Pingback: How To Detect A Virus On Iphone - Remove Spyware, Malware and Viruses()

• Pingback: Repairing Water Damaged Iphone 5 | iPhone Cracked Screen Repair()

• Pingback: Water Damage For Iphone | iPhone Cracked Screen Repair()

• Pingback: Apple Water Damage Warranty | iPhone Cracked Screen Repair()

• Pingback: Home Water Damage Repair | iPhone Cracked Screen Repair()

• Pingback: Who Fix Iphones | iPhone Cracked Screen Repair()

• Pingback: Water Damaged Iphone 5 | iPhone Cracked Screen Repair()

• Pingback: Iphone Liquid Damage Repair | iPhone Cracked Screen Repair()

• Pingback: How To Access Icloud On My Iphone | HOW TO()

• Pingback: How To Access Icloud On Iphone 5 | HOW TO()

• Pingback: How To Fix Fix Error Reference Source Not Found in Windows()

• Pingback: How To Activate Iphone Error | HOW TO()

• Pingback: How To Activate Iphone Call Waiting | HOW TO()

• Pingback: find my iphone to track spouse - android firmware download | android firmware download()

• Pingback: how to bypass find my iphone ios 7 - android firmware download | android firmware download()

• Pingback: how to find lost iphone without icloud - android firmware download | android firmware download()

• Pingback: how to find a lost iphone without icloud - android firmware download | android firmware download()

• Pingback: Iphone Hard Reset Ne I?e Yarar Manual Gadget, Car And Technology Manual PDF - Eldoocs.Net()

• Pingback: Iphone Hard Reset Home Button Not Working Manual Gadget, Car And Technology Manual PDF - Eldoocs.Net()

• Tennor123

For water damaged iphone, I know the first thing to do is to put it into the rice to drain off water, then check all the phone function are ok.

• Mr Richard Brown

…….

• Mr Richard Brown

////

• Mr Richard Brown

.,C

• Mr Richard Brown

HFF

• Mr Richard Brown

YT

• Fbaasd

If you can connect your iPhone to Computer ,and your can boot normal .Data Recovery can use some tool.

• E-waste encompasses ever growing range of obsolete electronic devices such as computers, servers, main frames, monitors, TVs & display devices, telecommunication devices such as cellular phones & pagers, calculators, audio and video devices, printers, scanners, copiers and fax machines besides refrigerators, air conditioners, washing machines, and microwave ovens, e-waste also covers recording devices such as DVDs, CDs, floppies, tapes, printing cartridges, military electronic waste, automobile catalytic converters, electronic components such as chips, processors, mother boards, printed circuit boards, industrial electronics such as sensors, alarms, sirens, security devices, automobile electronic devices.

• Clair Thompson

You can now recover the data on iPhone now.

• Wmarggy Wmarggy

If you lost photos,documents,contacts in your iphone by mistake, do you know how to recover them in a simple way? With aid of Coolmuster iPhone Data Recovery, it’s easy to recover all data from iPhone .