Illustration by Emmet Baggett, Daily Orange Art Director

iSchool Women: Have you heard? You Must Choose Between Romance and Tech

Once again, I’m feeling frustrated as I read an article that clearly conveys the idea that women don’t belong in tech. There are numerous articles and studies that debate similar theories about women and technology. Here are just a few returned from a simple google search:

The study mentioned in the above Time Magazine article is the same one discussed in yesterday’s The Daily Orange.  The article is entitled “Bad Chemistry: Study finds women’s romantic interests outweigh desire to pursue math, science fields.”  You can find a copy of the entire study here.

Here are just a few of the reasons I’m frustrated by this piece:
1)  The attempt by the author to reflect the results of a single study as truth.
2)  The attempt to analyze the results of the study and extrapolate them to the ability to ‘balance romance and schoolwork.’
3)  The drawing accompanying the article depicts a woman dropping her ‘Great Poets’ book to be embraced by a man, while a female behind them engrossed in Science and Math books sits alone. (see above)
4)  The only two female students interviewed for the story both agree that they have done things differently because of gender stereotypes, including the decision not to go into the specialty of oral surgery because it is male dominated.  The male student interviewed doesn’t seem to mind as much about smart girls in the engineering field.

I work at the iSchool and I’m surrounded by smart women in the technology field every day.  I don’t see them walking around forlorn and without the possibility of romance in their lives because they have chosen to be in a technical field.

So, I’m looking for an iSchool female student to tell the other side of the story.  Tell us how being in this field has enriched your life, has given you more opportunities, and has not affected your dating prospects.  If the argument is that there are many more men in the technical schools, isn’t that a positive for the women who are looking for male partners?

Contact me on twitter @kellylux or send me an email to share your story!  And, of course, we’d love to have you share your comments below.

Kelly Lux

Kelly is the former Executive Editor of Information Space. Kelly currently teaches courses on Social Media, Online Community Management, and Content Strategy and Application, and she is currently the Assistant Director of the Communications@Syracuse program.

More Posts - Twitter - LinkedIn - Google Plus

• Romance over Technology? That’s absurd to me. In fact, I have had a wonderful fulfilling life with the man I love through our shared passions in technology.

• Macy,  thanks for your comment.  Having a shared interest is very important and a shared career field is a great bonus!  It’s nice to hear from women who don’t fit the stereotype…

• I relate to your frustration Kelly, I also do not agree with this article. I am a current Information Technology & Management student in my senior year at SU. I balance a family and all that goes with being a mom and I have done it so far. So I can speak on the behalf of women in technology and truly say that this is not true. I do have a supporting husband and children this helps but I think you can balance it all. I am doing it!

• Good for you Kim!  Your story is more in line with what I’ve witnessed at the iSchool and I’m glad to hear that you’re happily doing it all.

• Hi, I have unfortunately experienced this. In my university degree, I was one of only a few girls studying my course (technology/computing related) and in my previous jobs I have either been the only woman or one of very few. It is a very male dominated area, although I do believe this is changing. I totally disagree with the ‘romance or tech’ though, In my experience, when I’ve told males what I do, they have been impressed, sometimes a little shocked (because i am a girl?) but by no means do they see it as a turn off, if anything they want to find out more.
    Girl power 😉

Telephone answering service

• Anonymous

Many years ago, when I did a CS degree at another school, I encountered that “women don’t belong here” attitude from many of the male students, and even a faculty member.  Fortunately, I saw very little of it in my subsequent career, so I hoped that it was dying out.  Now I’m doing grad work at the iSchool, and am disappointed to be encountering it again from one of the males on my project team.  Is the iSchool doing anything to bring these guys into the 21st century???

• Pingback: How Do We Get More Women in Tech?()