The application for the 2017 MLB.com College Challenge is now closed. Check the MLB.com College Challenge home page for updates on the next event.
It’s time for the EIGHTH MLB.com College Challenge!
Hey Syracuse! For the eighth consecutive year, MLB Advanced Media (MLB.com) and Syracuse University’s iSchool have teamed up to challenge iSchool and all Syracuse University students to see if they can step up to the plate and knock it out of the park.
With a brand new topic and awesome prizes, the 2017 MLB.com College Challenge is ready to be the greatest one yet! The competition invites current students to come up with the next big idea in baseball technology and present their idea to a panel of MLB.com judges … who are also SU alumni!
We’ll be kicking off this year’s event in style! We’ll start with dinner at the Carrier Dome’s Club 44 followed by an all-night hack-a-thon style event. The following evening, teams will have the opportunity to pitch their final product to a panel of MLB and SU judges.
Teams will submit and present competing solutions and will be evaluated based on select criteria. Teams that make it to the final round will present to a panel of all MLB judges and the best idea will be crowned the 2017 MLB College Challenge Champion!
Students will be able to:
- Apply their coursework to a real business issue (all levels and skill sets welcome)
- Innovate solutions for one of the best website and online media companies in the world
- Develop their professional presentation capabilities
- Receive feedback from a distinguished panel of sports media and technology professionals
- Network with and showcase their talents to a prospective employer, current professors, iSchool staff and other like-minded students
- Team registration is due by 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, November 5. All team members must register individually under the same team name.
- Competition dates are November 9 and 10
- All participants must read this waiver form and bring a signed copy of it to the opening event of the competition
- Official contest rules
Who can enter?
The competition is open to all matriculated undergraduate Syracuse University students. All iSchool students are encouraged to participate.
Students will participate in self-composed teams. Teams must be composed of 2-4 people, must have at least one full time iSchooler, and must be composed of at least 50% undergraduate students.
Teams are encouraged to reach across age groups and disciplines in order to create solutions from a wide range of backgrounds and experiences.
MLB.com employees will judge all eligible submissions on the following criteria:
- Business Feasibility (25%)
- User Interface and/or Quality of Experience (25%)
- Innovation and Uniqueness (25%)
- Presentation (25%)
In the event of a tie, the Innovation and Uniqueness score will be used to determine the winner.
The winning team will travel to New York City for a dinner with MLB.com employees and an overnight stay. The following day, the winning team will tour the MLB.com office located in NYC’s historic Chelsea Market followed by lunch, and the opportunity to share the winning presentation with other MLB employees! All entrants will enjoy participation prizes from MLB.com.
The contest is being coordinated by iSchool Professor and CEO of SIDEARM Sports, Jeffrey Rubin and Julie Walas Huynh, Director of Student and Alumni Engagement, and iSchool alumni and current MLB.com employees, Josh Frost ’08, Marc Squire '11, Ben Romy ’12, Carlos Ruiz ‘13 and Sammy Pardes ’16 along with fellow Syracuse University graduate, Mike Hoffman ’93.