As iSchool alumni, you have a lot to offer current students! Students often wonder what their next step after graduation should be and hearing from someone who has been in their shoes is an invaluable experience.
Whether you have a day to give or a half day, your time is extremely beneficial to iSchool students. Whatever your field, you’ll have the opportunity to introduce the careers, culture, and industry of your organization—and share your own personal career experiences.
By October 20
Fill out a profile form and apply to host one, two, three or more students at their organization for a full day or half-day.
By November 30
Matched alumni mentors will be notified of the student(s) who will shadow them. (Those alumni who are not matched will also be notified. Matches are based on students’ choices of location and career.)
By December 16
Alumni should reply to students with details and itinerary.
January 9, 2017 - January 13, 2017
Job Shadow Days!
Suggested Shadow Day Activities
To help you and your student(s) have a successful Job Shadow experience, we recommend that you show your student(s) an advance itinerary of what you anticipate the Shadow Day to be like. You may choose to have the student(s) for a full day or half-day. They can spent the entire time with you, or you may have them visit with colleagues and any alumni who work with you.
For the best student experience, we suggest the following:
- Schedule 15-minute chats with people in all different positions and levels within the organization. If you have other Syracuse alumni at your organization, even better!
- Schedule time with HR to talk about future opportunities and hiring trends
- Tour of your organization’s facility
- Review current trends in the industry
- Bring student(s) to client and internal meetings
- Assign a short project relevant to their career interests or concentration
- Resume critique and career conversation
- Explore potential career paths within the organization and the profession
- Talk about how students can maximize the time they have remaining at SU
- Talk about your own career path since graduating from the iSchool
Apply to be a Host
Fill out this form to apply as an alumni host for the program.
Applications are due by October 20.
For more information, e-mail Barbara Settel, Executive Director, Alumni Relations, or call her at (315) 443-5604.