The iSchool has established an IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL*) Foundation certification course for the Spring 2019 Semester.
ITIL Foundation certification is a differentiator in the IT job market and a core requirement for all IT Professionals. ITIL is a collection of best practices for information technology (IT) management. Unlike courses that teach specific technology skills the ITIL Foundation course teaches current and potential IT professionals to look beyond the individual technologies to the business activities they enable. ITIL lays out the definitive processes for IT service management excellence.
ITIL consists of five integrated lifecycle stages, composed of 26 processes, for aligning IT management decisions and environments with the business mission, goals and operations.
The ITIL Foundation Certification Workshops consist of five 4-hour classes followed by the 90-minute certification examination.
ITIL Foundation Workshops are scheduled to be held on the following Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. with an hour lunch from 12 noon to 1 p.m.
- Saturday, October 5th, 2019
- Saturday, October 12th, 2019
- Saturday, October 19th, 2019
- Saturday, October 26th, 2019
- Saturday, November 2nd, 2019 will be followed by the 90-minute certification examination
The fee for the preparation workshop is $1,450.
- ITIL Foundation Certification Class Notes
- ITIL Foundation Handbook
- ITIL Foundation Certification Examination
This workshop is designed for all members of the Information Technology (IT) workforce: technicians, developers, system engineers, project managers and IT managers. The course objectives are to:
- Describe the overlooked role that IT professionals have in creating business growth opportunities, operating efficiencies and customer satisfaction
- Develop an understanding of the 5-stages of the ITIL IT Service Management lifecycle of strategy, design, transition, operations and continual service improvement
- Introduce the twenty-six processes that underpin the stages of the IT Service Management lifecycle
- Prepare the student to sit for the ITIL Foundation Certification Exam
This workshop differs from other technology certification programs in that ITIL addresses how to operate the IT function itself. ITIL training provides guidance to IT managers on how to align IT processes, investments and initiatives with business goals and enable their achievement.
Module 1: Business Focus
- Understanding the relationship between business operations and IT processes
- Five stages of the IT Service Management Lifecycle
Module 2: Strategy Processes
- Strategy, Finance, Service Portfolio, Business Relationship, Demand Management
Module 3: Design Processes
- Design, Capacity, Availability, Security, Continuity, Performance Management, Supplier Management, Service Catalog
Module 4: Transition Processes
- Transition Planning, Change Management, Change Evaluation, Knowledge Management, Validation & Testing, Release and Deployment, Configuration Management
Module 5: Operations Processes
- Access, Request, Event, Incident, Problem Management
Module 6: Continual Service Improvement
- Seven-step Improvement Process
Module 7: Certification Examination
- There is no guarantee that participants who attend these workshops will past the exam.
- No academic credit will be granted by Syracuse University for these workshops. This is a special learning event hosted by the University, but which is offered outside of any academic program.
- Attendance of participants will be recorded at all sessions.
- Class size is limited – participants are encouraged to enroll early.
*ITIL® is a registered trade mark of HM Government Cabinet Office