Skip to content

iSchool Graduate Student Earns Top Intern of the Semester Award

Ran Liu G’08, a student in the M.S. in information management program, was named the D’Aniello Top Intern of the Semester for fall 2008 by the Martin J. Whitman School of Management.

 

Liu, one of eight students selected for the prestigious D’Aniello Entrepreneurial Internship Program, interned at AquaTox Research Inc., a Syracuse-based independent, for-profit divestiture of the Aquatic Toxicology Center from its former parent company, Syracuse Research Corporation. She worked directly with AquaTox’s chief executive officer, Frank Dougherty, on developing a plan targeting the China market.

 

“The office was very interactive, which enabled me to communicate with a variety of staff members, including technicians and trade council businessmen,” Liu says. “This open environment allowed me to learn about the company quickly. I learned about the suppliers, the testing process, and how services benefit the customer. I also explored how cultural and policy issues influence business.”

 

The competitive internship program is supported by Daniel A. D’Aniello, a founding partner and managing director of the Carlyle Group, and requires student interns to work directly with an entrepreneur, president or senior executive in a high-growth, innovative company in the Syracuse metropolitan area. The host company provides the intern with meaningful work and pays 70 percent of the intern’s stipend and the University covers the remaining 30 percent.

 

Liu was one of three iSchool students selected for the internship program. Swapnil Prakash Kamble G’08, a student in the M.S. in information management program, interned at Filter Source Inc., an online source for industrial and commercial grade filtration systems located in Syracuse, and Atanu Ghosh G’08, also in the information management program, worked at CXtec Inc., a market for certified pre-owned industrial and specialized equipment and gear in Syracuse.  

 

Liu said her training in information management provided her with the knowledge to analyze public relations and marketing from a technological viewpoint. In China, companies are judged by the quality of their web sites. “If people can’t find a company’s web site, then all communications stop,” she says. “So, one of my jobs in the internship was to assist in building a bilingual web site for the company. My work included reviewing the contract, providing suggestions on the design, and analyzing content.”

Back to top