Information security, telecommunications, information management, data science: they're all topics in our featured programs for veterans. Based on our most popular offerings with our students from military backgrounds, we're proud to offer these featured programs that deliver our promise of flexibility and opportunity.
Online and On-campus, Full-time and Part-time
All iSchool programs are available for veterans, but our featured programs are our most popular offerings. The master's and CAS programs are delivered in both online and on-campus formats. Our online programs have the same curriculum, faculty, and tuition as our campus programs. The only difference is the delivery mode. iSchool students can also study part-time, full-time, or anywhere in between, as long as the program is completed within seven years.
Syracuse University is a member of the Yellow Ribbon Program. Application fees are waived for all veterans.
Information Management (IM) students learn how to increase productivity and creativity; evaluate, plan and deploy the effective use of information; develop information policies to maximize the benefits of using information technology; and strategically use and manage information resources.
The 42 credit IM curriculum includes:
- 10 credits of primary core requirements
- 15 credits of secondary core requirements
- 8 to 14 credits of electives
- a 3–9-credit exit requirement
Many service men and women find the iSchool after several successful years working in the information field. Our Master of Science in Information Management Executive Program is for seasoned professionals with six or more years of full-time professional management experience looking to fill knowledge gaps and develop specialties.
The 30 credit Executive IM curriculum includes:
- 9 credits of primary core requirements
- 9 credits of secondary core requirements
- 9 credits of electives
- a 3-credit exit requirement
Organizations across all sectors, including government and not-for-profit, can improve efficiency through data science. The iSchool’s Certificate of Advanced Study (CAS) in Data Science equips graduates to become data scientists, ready to tackle stores of big data to improve businesses everywhere.
The CAS in Data Science’s 15-credit curriculum requires:
- 6 credits of primary core courses in data science & databases
- 9 credits of electives
The Certificate of Advanced Study (CAS) in Information Security Management (ISM) prepares students to manage a high degree of complex technical security, increased operational costs, diverse policies, and user behavior.
The CAS in Information Security Management includes:
- a 3-credit required core course: Introduction to Information Security
- At least one 3-credit course in Management Security
- At least one 3-credit course from the Technology Security
- An additional 6 credits from any of the following course lists:
- Management Security
- Technology Security
- Information Studies
The Bachelor of Science in Information Management and Technology at the School of Information Studies focuses on the needs of information users, learning the value of information as well as technology, and develops a flexible and highly portable set of skills for the modern workplace.
The 120-credit BS in Information Management and Technology includes:
- 24–25 credits in the Information Management and Technology Primary Core
- 15 credits in Information Management and Technology Electives
- 21–32 credits in Skills Electives
- 36 credits in Arts and Sciences Divisional Requirements
- 21–24 credits in General Electives