Congratulations on your acceptance and welcome to the iSchool! We look forward to having you join us. This checklist for newly admitted graduate students will help you stay on track and transition smoothly.
Please read these instructions closely, as most steps must be completed prior to the first day of classes:
- Summer 2018: multiple start dates, consult your course schedule
- Fall 2018 classes begin on Monday, August 27
Confirm your intent to enroll (matriculate) by December 15 (spring) and April 15 (fall)
By matriculating to Syracuse University, you are officially considered an iSchool student. For campus students,the matriculation deadline is December 15, 2017 for spring and April 15, 2018 for fall unless otherwise stated on your original admission letter.
In order to matriculate, all students must:
- Sign and return your Intent to Register (ITR) card, which is included in your admission letter envelope. You may mail your signed ITR, or you may submit a scanned copy (include both sides) via email to graduateITR@syr.edu.
- Pay your Advance Tuition Deposit via Myslice. You should receive an email from the Syracuse University Enrollment Management Processing Office containing a link to go to MySlice and pay the advance tuition deposit.
Conditionally Admitted Students
If you have been offered conditional admission, send your financial documents as soon as possible. It is important to send in the necessary materials as soon as possible, because you will not receive your ITR or I-20 until you send in the necessary paperwork and we extend an official offer of admission. For more information on what financial documents you need to send, please refer to the Syracuse University Graduate Admissions International Requirements page, under theFinancial Requirementsheading.
Review required checklist for incoming graduate students
- All campus students: Please visit the the Graduate School website for information about health and immunization requirements, housing, health insurance, and the Syracuse, NY area.
- International Students: Review International New Student Check-In.
- Have questions about financial aid and loans? Contact the Office of Financial Aid.
Set up your Syracuse University student accounts
- Step 1: Activate your NetID
- As a new student, you must Activate your NetIDin order to access university computing systems. You will need your 9-digit Syracuse University Identification (SU I.D.) number, which is included on your admissions letter and ITR card, to activate your NetID and set your password.Remember your password, as it will be the password you use with your NetID to access Syracuse University and iSchool services.
- What is a NetID?Your NetID is a short username assigned to you by Syracuse University. FAQs about NetID can be found on the Activate Your NetID webpage. Once activated, your NetID and password will allow you to access MySlice, Blackboard, and your SU Email.
- Step 2: Setup your SUmail address
- Information about setting up your SUmail address is located on the Access SUmail webpage.
- Your SUmail will be the primary email on file for you at the university, and will be used by faculty and offices across campus to communicate important information to you, even before you begin classes.
- If you do not plan to use your SUmail as your primary email address, it is strongly encouraged that you set up email forwarding from your SUmail to your primary email account so you don’t miss important communications.
- Step 3: Login to Myslice
- Using your newly-activated NetID and password, login to MySlice. You will use MySlice to register for classes and access other important information associated with your student account, such as your current GPA, transcripts, and other information.
- Step 4: Access Blackboard
- Blackboard is Syracuse University's Learning Management system, which allows you to access your course syllabi, view and complete assignments, and other course-related notifications and information.
- When will I be able to access Blackboard? Fall 2017 will be able to login to Blackboard on the Monday before the start of your courses. Use your NetID and password to sign in to blackboard.
- Step 5: Request your Syracuse University Identification (SU I.D.) Card
- Electronically submit your own picture for your SU I.D. Card on the ID Card Services webpage.
- Your SU I.D. Card will serve as your official Syracuse University identification and will provide you access to residence halls, dining centers, computer labs, library privileges, print and copy centers and the Syracuse University Bookstore.
- Once your SU I.D. is created, you can pick it up on campus at Syracuse University Card Services in Steele Hall, room 206.
Review your program’s curriculum requirements
Curriculum requirements can be found in the course catalog, and will also be sent to you via email prior to the beginning of the semester. You must review these requirements and identify your introductory courses, as you will need to register for your introductory courses in your first semester.
Register for your required Introductory Courses
Master's students must include the required introductory course in their first semester courses. Any students in either the MS in Information Management - Executive Track or attending the iSchool under the U.S. Army Signal Center of Excellence partnership are exempt from the introductory course requirement.
- IM introductory course: IST 621
- LIS and LIS School Media introductory course: IST 511
The iSchool Class Schedule can help you determine which non-introductory courses you'd like to register for in your first semester.
Register for courses via Myslice
Course registration can be done online through your MySlice account. It is strongly advised that you register for your preferred section of the gateway courses early on in the registration period as these courses can fill quickly. If you find that a course is full, you may add yourself to the waitlist using the Class Schedule.
The Late Registration/Schedule Adjustment period can be found on the current academic calendar. You will need Bursar Clearance before registering during this period if you did not previously register for a course prior to the start of the semester. There is a $35.00 late fee. Schedule adjustments may also be made during the Late Registration period.
Sign-up for student listservs
You can sign up for iSchool listservs using your SUmail address. Listserv emails will give you for important information such as deadline reminders, events, career opportunities, internships, and a lot more.
Attend new graduate student orientation
New Graduate Student orientation is required for all incoming MS students, and is encouraged for CAS students.
Fall Graduate Student Orientation
Friday, August 24, 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Orientation includes general advising, career orientation, Grad Mentor panel, lunch, and an ice cream social. Additional details will be sent via email to your Syracuse University email.
International Student Orientation
Thursday, August 16 and Friday, August 17
Details can be found on the Slutzker Center for International Services Orientation website.
- Summer 2018
- Multiple start dates. Consult the class schedule
- Fall 2018 classes begin on Monday, August 27
Now you can begin your graduate program here at the iSchool! Questions regarding course requirements, registration or orientation can be emailed to iAdvising@syr.edu.
We look forward to seeing you at the iSchool!