The faculty assistant program gives selected master's students the opportunity to work closely with faculty members at the School of Information Studies. The program provides a unique and valuable extra opportunity to interact with the iSchool’s distinguished faculty researchers and practitioners. Each student who is selected can work for up to ten hours per week with the faculty members and can earn $10 per hour.
Positions are generally renewable each semester based on performance. We strongly encourage each student to work with only one faculty member over a period of time in order to build a strong relationship. These positions are intended to provide a meaningful professional experience as you move forward in your degree program.
Faculty Assistants are chosen through a matching process. Please be aware that there are many fewer positions than applicants so it is doubly important that you follow the guidelines carefully and hone your skills for self-presentation.
1. First, you must submit a skill summary application precisely following these guidelines.
2. Please mail as a PDF or Word Doc or deliver in person to Roberta Segreti, 206A Hinds Hall. DO NOT SUBMIT A FULL CV OR RESUME IN ANY OTHER FORMAT.
3. The applications will be compiled in a binder and reviewed by faculty seeking an assistant Faculty will start reviewing in August and continue into the beginning of the semester. Early submission is encouraged, but applications can be accepted on an ongoing basis.
4. Faculty members will contact you directly to discuss hiring you. Please be sure to include contact information and your SUID # that will allow them to reach you during the summer and into the fall. You may contact Roberta Segreti firstname.lastname@example.org if your contact information changes. You will only be contacted if selected.
5. Once you and the faculty member have agreed to work together you must then be added to the payroll. Please ask your faculty member to contact Roberta Segreti to set this process in motion. Throughout the semester you will be submitting a signed paper time sheet each week for hours worked. Be sure to make an arrangement with your faculty member for having these time sheets signed.
Contact Roberta Segreti if you have questions.