The Master of Science in Information Management (IM) at the Syracuse University School of Information Studies (iSchool) is a 42-credit degree program that hones your skills in:
- Management and organizational change solution analysis and design
- Communication and collaboration
- Business process improvement
- Applied information technology
You will learn to approach challenges with strategic vision, while ensuring that technology solutions integrate with enterprise goals.
Available On-campus | Online | Full-time | Part-time
Courses & Curriculum
The Information Management curriculum will prepare you to:
- Improve the strategic use and management of information resources in business, government, and nonprofit organizations
- Develop corporate and government policies to maximize the benefits resulting from the widespread use of these technologies
- Increase the productivity and creativity of knowledge workers, managers, and executives who work with information resources
- Evaluate, plan, and deploy the effective use of information and communication technologies within organizations
Overview (42 total credits)
- 10 credits of primary core courses
- 15 credits of secondary core courses
- 8–14 credits of elective courses
- 3–9 credits as an exit requirement (capstone course and an internship)
Certificates of Advanced Study
With a little planning, it’s possible for you to receive both an MS and a Certificate of Advanced Study (CAS) from the iSchool with no additional coursework necessary. You can take a CAS concurrently with your master’s program.
Popular CAS choices for Information Management students include:
Online and On Campus
The Information Management program is offered online, on-campus, full-time, and part-time, or any mixture thereof.
All online Information Management students, along with all other newly admitted online master’s students, begin their first year of study with a 7-day required summer residency on the Syracuse University campus in July.
Fast Track Accelerated Degree for Information Management
The Fast Track program is an accelerated degree program for the Master in Information Management (IM). Fast Track is available to all Syracuse University undergraduate students. It is also available to LeMoyne College undergraduate students studying computer science or information systems.
If you qualify for the Fast Track program, you can earn your IM degree in just one year by beginning graduate coursework during the senior year of your undergraduate program. The IM program typically takes two years to complete.
You need to indicate interest and apply to the Fast Track program before May 1st of your junior year.
Please visit the Fast Track webpage for more information about the program.
Admissions requirements can be found on our application checklist.
The major components of the application are: the online application, academic transcripts, personal statement, two letters of recommendation, exam scores, resume or CV, and the $75 non-refundable application fee.
Application deadlines can be found on our Admissions page.
MS programs at the iSchool only accept students for either a Fall start (campus students) or a Summer start (online students).
Those who apply before February 1, 2016, receive priority consideration for our merit-based scholarships and awards.